Outwood Cricket Club History

Club History

 

Outwood Cricket Club - a briefhistory is the only formal history of Outwood Cricket Club.  It wasproduced by L.C. 'Johnny' Waller in 1966.
THE OUTWOOD CRICKET CLUB
FOUNDED 1889
A BRIEF HISTORY
BY
L. C. WALLER
 
Published by Allan Good, Hurst & Co., Ltd., 233/235 High Street,Beckenham, Kent and Printed by Michael Stephen Press, la Links Road, London,SW17. 

CONTENTS 
Foreword
Mainly Acknowledgements
Early Days Until 1914
Between The Wars (1919-1940)
1946-1965
Au Revoir
List of Honour
Notes on a few of the interesting buildings in theOutwood District


FOREWORD 

The Author has been kind enough to ask me to write a foreword to hisHistory of the Outwood Cricket Club.
It is of course a particular honour to follow the Past Presidents of the Club,Mr. Alfred Lloyd, Mr. Theodore Lloyd, and until her death in 1963 Mrs. B. M.Lloyd. The Lloyd family were Lord of the Manor, a distinction I cannot remotelyclaim, but one thing we shared was a love of village cricket, and Outwoodcricket in particular.
The Club owe a debt of thanks to Mr. Waller, for the time and energy he hasdevoted to preparing this History. The research entailed in order to produce anaccurate picture over nearly eighty years, is more than may be realised.
Although this is the story of Outwood, it could well be many a village club,and some of the characters portrayed may bring nostalgic memories to those whohave had the privilege of being associated with that particular luxury known as"Village Cricket".
No cricket club, particularly those such as our own, could ever exist as weknow it, without the help of the Ladies. I would like to pay tribute to theLadies, who over the years have provided such wonderful teas and cricketsuppers, and to those who have followed in more recent times, to thank them formaintaining the splendid standard we have always enjoyed. To those wives whobecause of family commitments have not been able to spare as much time as some,they too should be thanked for unselfishly allowing their husbands theenjoyment of playing,
To those who have been kind enough to buy a copy of this publication to helpClub funds, I hope you will find pleasure in recapturing the past. To those whoare fortunate enough still to play, this history will help you to retain thespirit which we in the Outwood Club have endeavoured to preserve, and enableyou through cricket to make friendships which I and many others treasure withso much gratitude.
A. D. J. Ashpool

RETURN TO TOP OF PAGE 

MAINLYACKNOWLEDGEMENTS 

Overthe years many people have been asked to write the history of theOutwood Cricket Club and in 1953 the Honorary Secretary, Mr. B. F. Rand,started the task in earnest. He interviewed Mr.Walter Scott of"Holmlea", Millers Lane , Outwood, the man reputed to bethe Club's inaugural Secretary, from whom he obtained much useful information.At the time Mr. Scott had reached the age of 85. Mr. Rand's notes of hisinterviews with the Club's "oldest inhabitant" were, however, mislaidand they have never since been found. Mr. Scott died in 1963 and it is mostunfortunate that no real effort was apparently made to interview him for asecond time, particularly as it is believed that papers of historic Club value,important in the writing of its history, were destroyed after his death.Fortunately, however, before the present work on the Club's past had beencompleted an old Minute Book, covering the period from 1897-1948, came to lightand this has made it possible to establish certain dates and other useful facts.The present author wishes to make it quite clear that he claims no literaryability whatsoever and has merely tried to obtain as many facts as possible,supported by some likely and unlikely stories and has put these together in aform which he trusts will be of interest and stimulate many a conversationamong past and present members, supporters and well-wishers of the OutwoodCricket Club. The author is indebted to the President of the Club,
also to past and present members, the legal administrators of the HarewoodEstate, to members of the late Mr. Scott's family for the interest shown andthe help received, to Mr. M. Whitwell for assistance in the matter of research,to Mr. K. J. Christie for typing the proofs from the manuscript, also to Mr.Granville Roberts for his services in "Editing" the proofs. Thefollowing Official persons and bodies were contacted and gave such help as theywere able:
Surrey County Council Library Services
The Archivist of the Surrey County Council
The Editor of the Surrey Mirror
The Engineer and Surveyor of the Godstone R.D.C.
The Director of the British Museum (Library and Map Sections).
The author is also indebted to local residents for courtesy extended and helpgiven in respect of the final chapter of this booklet.

RETURN TO TOP OF PAGE

EARLY DAYS ANDUNTIL 1914 

In its early days the Club seems mostly to have revolved around theLloyd and Scott families. Mr. Alfred Lloyd purchased the Harewoods Estate inthe year 1875, and made his home at Harewoods House, where he lived with hiswife and son Theodore, the latter being three years old at the time. The Lloydsplayed a major part in the life of the village, including the formation of thecricket club. The Harewoods Estate included brick yards and brick fields, whichwere sited just behind the present pavilion, and extended to the vicinity ofthe Church. The deep gullies in the woods to the South-west of the ground couldwell have resulted from excavations of clay for the purpose of making thebricks. For a few seasons cricket was played in a field near the Church, butlater Mr. Lloyd closed the brick yards and his estate workers cleared thepresent site of trees, shrubs and bushes and formed the present ground.
In spite of considerable time and research spent on the matter, it has beenfound nearly impossible to give a firm date as to when cricket was first playedon the present ground, however, it has always been accepted that Mr. WaiterScott was the Club's first Secretary and in 1910 his grateful fellow clubmenpresented to him a gold watch, still the treasured possession of one of hisfriends, and this watch bears the inscription: "Presented by Outwood C.C.to W. H. Scott, April 1910-20 years HON, SK.". Mr. Scott continued inoffice after the presentation.
Accepting the fact that the 20 years did not include 1910, that season nothaving started at the time of the presentation, this would bring the date whenthe Club was first constituted as we now know it, that is with democraticallyelected officers, back to 1889. In 1919, after the First World War, Mr. Scottagain got the Club moving and then retired as Secretary, and the fact isrecorded in the Minute Book that it was after "30 years' service as Secretary".This again makes 1889 as the Club's probable inaugural year and one we canaccept. It is the writer's opinion that the games played near the Church andpossibly for a season or two on the present ground before 1889 were matchesplayed on a country house basis and arranged by word of mouth or otherimpromptu methods, possibly by Mr. Lloyd himself or a member of his staff. Ithas therefore been agreed by present day members that 1889 be the accepted dateof the Club's formation and it is further suggested that when centenarycelebrations are considered the year for such activities should be 1989.Incidentally, local legend has it, that cricket was played from about 1860 onthe triangular shaped piece of ground opposite the windmill, but again one feelsthat these games were very much of an impromptu character. It was quite apossibility that the field near the Church would be the permanent home of theClub but the present site was chosen and had it not been for the fact that Mr.Lloyd was very conscious of natural beauty and trees in particular the shape ofthe ground could have been somewhat different and even more attractive than thesplendid ground we now enjoy. One idea was to obtain the small meadow on theEast side of the ground and turn the playing area into an "Oval".Negotiations apparently broke down as Mr. Lloyd felt that two oak trees thatformed part of the boundary should not be destroyed. Unfortunately, some yearslater those trees were struck by lightning and were lost.
The South-east corner of the ground was the cause of a spot of bother.Apparently Mr. Lloyd gave instructions to his employees that ground clearanceshould stop at three young oak trees, but either the employees did notunderstand or they let their enthusiasm get the better of their judgement andpulled out the oak trees, with a view to clearing towards Millers Lane. Mr.Lloyd was seriously displeased, in fact one may assume that he was hopping mad.At any rate the sacrificed oaks were replaced in 1897. To commemorate Queen Victoria 'sJubilee Year the three chestnut trees which now adorn the entrance to theground were planted on Mr. Lloyd's orders. In the early days the common landaround the ground was kept clear of shrub greatly to the advantage of WaiterScott who was known to nip off home during match days and get on with hisdomestic commitments, making frequent visits to his garden gate to keep an eyeon the scoreboard and returning to the game when he was required for activeparticipation.
During this period the Club matches included mid-week and all day gamesinitiated by Mr. Lloyd and the team consisted of the members of the Outwoodteam and estate employees. Mr. Lloyd was a sports man whose patronage extendedto other fields, much to the liking of both his own estate staff and thevillage. Waiter Scott used to describe "the squire ' " as a keenhorseman, whose hunting exploits were much admired. His hospitality, when theHunt Ball was held at Harewoods House, extended to all and was the villageevent of the year, and the shoot was also very well known. These activities, aswell, as his powerful support of cricket endeared him as a local leader andpatron.
A tent acted as the pavilion and this was brought to the ground by means ofhorse and cart or pony and trap, and in a similar manner the refreshments wouldarrive from "The Prince", where Mr. E. L. Scott was "minehost" and also an Outwood player. It is worth recalling that lunch withbeer ad-lib was provided at a cost of 2/- per head!
Club fixtures in 1901 included Blindley Heath, Horley, Monotype, Redhill andReigate Priory, and these teams with the addition of Newchapel were also playedin 1903.
Photographs hanging in the pavilion bear witness to the fact that in 1892 andfor several years later an annual match was played between a Scott X] and"Outwood C.C.". Members of the former team did not necessarily playfor Outwood, some assisting local villages such as Salfords, but the Outwoodteam consisted of names still very familiar in the village, and the 1900 teamconsisted of such characters as Billy Lord, T. Rabourn, A. A. Stacey, W. G.Scott, W. J. Scott, E. L. Scott, A. P. Scott, W. Jupp, Emery Wright, E. Young,W. Talbot, and N. Tett.
Other personalities of the Club around the turn of the century included Messrs.J. Wright, R. Wright, Captain Mirchouse, A. Young, W. Gatland, E. Bishop, F.Locket, A. Dean, J. A. Harris, and the Vicars of the Parish, including VicarsHawken, Leatay and Sparshatt.
Perhaps the most prominent of these gentlemen in Club matters was Mr. EmeryWright, the village blacksmith and wheelwright, who was Captain in 1896, andpossibly even earlier, and continued in office until the end of 1902, and whoalso later served on the Committee and as Vice-Captain for several years. In1906 he was made the Club's first "professional" groundsman, theannual salary being £5.0.0. When Mr. Wright died in 1915 the Club lost a loyaland diligent member.
Mr. F. Locket skippered the side from 1906 until 1913 and here again was a mandevoted to the Club who rendered so many service-s in addition to playing.
Ground maintenance, as always, created some problems. Grass cutting was done bya mower drawn by a pony. To prevent damage to the turf the pony was fitted withleather shoes and it must have been quite a sight to see the outfit working onthe ground. The large roller which adorns the ground was an early piece ofequipment acquired by the Club, except for repairs to the shafts it has costvery little for maintenance and has been a most worthy servant to the Club. Itwas purchased in 1904 at a sale held at Shepherds Farm for the sum of £8.15.0.A story is told how on one occasion some half a dozen or so keen gentlemen ofthe Club pushed the roller for five eighths of a mile, mostly up-hill, from theground to the Marl Pond for the purpose of filling up the drum with water. Uponarrival at the pond and after some difficulty had been experienced in untappingthe drum, it was found that it was already full of water! This discovery issaid to have enraged some of the escorting party whose reputation for solidworth and dignity was sadly damaged as a result of their verbal reaction.
The Pavilion was built in the years 1896-97 and the cost was in the region of£200. It is a considerable matter for thought when one considers that thereplacement value of the Pavilion would now be around ten to twenty times theinitial cost. When the pavilion was completed the Club could and did claim tohave one of the most picturesque village grounds in the southof England .
Present day members are still fully appreciative of all the hard work,thoughtand perseverance of predecessors which brought the ground and itsamenities into being and it is hoped that the traditions of the Clubnecessitating a high standard of clubmanship rather than a high standard ofplaying wIll always be treasured by its future members. It was decided in 1902that the Club colours should be light and dark blue in striped formation.
The owner of the Mill, Mr. W. Jupp, was one of the founder playing members andlater for twenty-five years he took on the onerous task of "ClubUmpire". His two sons, Stanley and Ben, followed in their father'sfootsteps as players and during this period an amusing incident occurred whenone Saturday afternoon the team assembled at the village and set off in a horseand cart to Godstone to play the latter club on Godstone Green.
After travelling for some time and when the team were in the vicinity ofBletchingley, it was realized with some consternation that the umpire wasmissing. It was also quickly realized that to go to a local" Derby " without the team's "own umpire" wassheer bad organisation which could have nothing but the most disastrousrepercussions! So Neddy and the cart were turned back to Outwood, where Mr.Jupp was at his appointed "picking up" spot, the bench in the bar at"The Bell". A restart of the journey was made and the team dulyarrived at Godstone around 3.45, which the home side felt, rather strongly onehears, was somewhat late for a 2.30 start. Outwood duly won the match. Aroundthe same period it is claimed that Outwood dismissed Godstone for one run,which run resulted from an "extra"! Incidentally, Godstone do notappear on the present Club fixture list.
When the horse and cart were not available away matches caused some difficulty,but the enthusiastic team were known to set off on foot to South NutfieldStation, complete with cricket gear. This in itself would have been quite ajourney to say nothing of the return journey at night! It must have been a veryweary eleven that eventually arrived back in Outwood village. They were goodwalkers in those days though; and Waiter Scott was fond of relating tales ofhis "outings" when he walked from Outwood over the fields toBletchingley and back via South Park to Outwood.
During the pre-1914 period two elevens were fielded on Saturday afternoons.Annual meetings were held in the Church Room and year after year there were twomain items of business on the agenda: 1, to elect Officers and Committee; 2, todecide who had won the batting and bowling prize of each eleven.
The latter item seemed to cause quite an appreciable amount of difficulty andthe rules concerning eligibility were frequently altered to meet the case. In1907 the following proposition was put to the meeting, and believe it or not,was carried, "that the rule regarding the prize for batting be amended tothe effect that to be eligible a member must play at least 8 innings-not outinnings to be counted as one of the above innings-though of course the averageto be counted 'out' in the usual proper manner." The general idearegarding prizes was for the Club to donate the first eleven batting andbowling prize, and for the second eleven prizes to be put up by private donors.This was varied when the Club was hard pressed for money on which occasions thesecond eleven prizes would be allocated to the first eleven winners and thesecond eleven winners were left with only the "honour" of having won.The first eleven prizes were in the form of cash, in the early days 17/6d. toeach of the winners, and one could ask whether they lost their amateur statusby accepting these money prizes?
One feels this chapter should not be concluded without a few more lines aboutthe two men who did so much towards founding and establishing on a firmfoundation the Outwood Cricket Club. Mr. Waiter Scott the inaugural Secretarywho after he retired as a player would every succeeding season until his deathwalk on match days across to the ground he loved to join on the "critic'sbench" such old playing colleagues as Bill Maynard, Charlie Martin, StanJupp, George Miles, Waiter Howick, Arthur Young and other stalwarts of pastseasons, there to enjoy watching succeeding generations representing the Club.He was also the Outwood Church organist for 50 years.

Mr. Alfred Lloyd, the Club's first President, died on the 5th March,1919, and left behind the ground and pavilion as testimony of the fact that hislove of cricket and Outwood cricket in particular must have been very greatindeed.

RETURN TO TOP OF PAGE

BETWEEN THE WARS 
1919-1940 

The ground had lain idle during the First World War, but in the Springof 1919 it was again cleared by enthusiastic supporters of the Club who wereagain anxious to see Outwood cricket resumed without delay.
A General Meeting was called and held in the Church Room on April 8th, 1919,and although a complete list of those present is not available the followingwere elected officers: President, T. H. Lloyd; Chairman, Rev. F. McConnel;Captain, E. L. Scott; Vice-Captain, A. Dean; with a supporting committee ofMessrs. J. Corsten, E. Young, V. Elliott, E. Bates, J. Wright, T. Bell and W.Jupp.
The foregoing has particular interest inasmuch as it was the final season forWalter Scott as Secretary and the first season of Mr. Theodore H. Lloyd as theClub's President, an office he continued to hold without a break until hisdeath on the 23rd March, 1959. Mr. Scott was succeeded in office as Secretaryby the then licensee of "The Bell" whose name, appropriately enough,was Mr. Bell, and he remained in office until 1924 when Mr. Arthur Constabletook over and served seven years. Mr. Arthur Harman also did the job before theWar for seven years, whilst Mr. Stan Jupp and Mr. George Miles also held officefor shorter periods. Others who assisted the Club overthis difficult periodincluded Captain Mirchouse, Dr. W. H. Maw, J. S. Murton, J. Glanville, W.Maynard, W. Gatland, R. Walker, Charlie Martin and the Rev. A. E. Lait.
The number of Club Captains for the 22 years under review was considerable andin direct contrast to the comparable numbers both before 1914 and after 1940,in fact the following eleven gentlemen were appointed and held office for an averageof two seasons each: Messrs. E. L. Scott, Rev. F. McConnel, J. R. E. Cunliffe,W. Gatland, W. S. Allom, F. A. Clutterbuck, G. Hollingsbee, G. Miles, J. C,Rice, T. H. Roberts and J. P. Glanville.
During this period one eleven was run, playing on Saturday afternoons and BankHolidays, the reduced number of players available forcing the Club into theabandonment of the policy of playing two elevens as was the case before 1914.
Among early Captains appointed after the First World War was a Major J. R. E.Cunliffe who although, apparently, not the most popular of skippers was withoutdoubt a colourful personality. The Major lived at Christmas Farmin Picketts Lane and would arrive at the ground on horseback. Hewould lead his team on to the field immaculately dressed and complete withwhite kid gloves and a monocle.
When batting he was only interested in scoring fours and sixes and on oneocca3ion when an enterprising team mate called him for a short run and gothimself run out as a result the Major turned to the unfortunate and somewhatirate victim and apologised saying, "Sorry old boy-1 dropped mymonocle".
"The Cricketer" dated 16th September, 1922, contains a report of agame played on the Outwood ground on the 6th September, 1922, between Major J.R. E. Cunliffe's Xl and Redhill Wednesday Xl. A remarkable performance waswitnessed, the last wicket partnership of the Redhill side putting on no lessthan 201 runs. "The Cricketer" suggested this may have created arecord for afternoon club cricket. The Outwood Club record for the 10th wicketwas without doubt created at Blindley Heath around 1936 between E. A. Sellars,who lived at the bottom of Rookery Hill and tragically died in 1947 at theearly age of 38, and young George Constable in his early days with the Club.Outwood had been struggling for runs but these two put on 140 for the lastwicket. George was subsequently to become a Vice Captain of the Club, aposition he held for many years.
On the 9th February, 1929, the long serving Club Secretary, Mr. Arthur J.Constable, was married and the Club members presented the couple with an oaktable suitably inscribed. The oak for the table was obtained as a result ofrenovations being made at "Old Cottage", the home of the Clutterbuckfamily who in various capacities hav3 done so much for the Club. The problemsof the Captains during these years were similar to earlier, current and nodoubt future Captains of the Club. Captain F. A. Clutterbuck's notes for hisreport to the A.G.M. in 1928 included the following:- "Ground - Rabbitsand Netting, pitch repairs, repairs to pavilion roof, etc. Workingparty needed to complete netting repairs, pitch to roll, rough grassto cut etc. Conclusion: 1. Tomorrow as ever is - come up infull strength. 2. All good friends. 3. Thanks to Umpire and Scorer." Thesenotes are similar and almost identical to those compiled yearly some thirtyyears later by Captain Clutterbuck's son David during his term of office asCaptain of the Club.
The Balance Sheets during these years indicated that 'the average amounts ofboth receipts and expenditure were in the region of £30, the balance in handfluctuating between £2 and £3. The groundsman's annual salary was £5 and atypical gear account (1927) was as follows:
(£ s d.)
1 pair of Leg Guards: 10-0
1 Inner Gloves: 2-0
1 Wicketkeeping Gauntlets: 10-0
Total: £1-2-0


The playing member's subscription was 5/- per annum and a donation of 10/- tothe Club funds by a subscriber elevated that person to the Vice- President'slist.
It has been said that an Eton-Harrow School match was playedsometime between the Wars on the Club ground. It was arranged at very shortnotice and necessitated cancelling a Club fixture and although this caused somecriticism all was forgiven when it was explained that the Club funds hadbenefited to the extent of £5. 5s. Od. in respect of the hire of the ground.
it was in 1932 that Mr. Alfred E. Young was elected to the Committee and hecontinued to serve the Club for over 30 years before retiring. He had followedin the footsteps of his father, Mr. Ernie Young, his uncle, Mr. A. Young, andcousins, Jim and Wally, all of whom had been most respected and valued membersof the Club. Alf had the honour of being one of the torch bearers of the 1948Olympic Games which were held at Wembley Stadium.
During these years water for the purpose of pitch maintenance and teas wasconveyed through the woods by hand, having been obtained from the Butcher'sshop and nearby cottages. Junior members of the Club had the honour of carryingout this chore and present day members George Constable and Alf Young werefrequently among the carriers. Main water was laid as far as the Pavilion in1938, the cost being £19. 5s. Od. and this amount was covered in a grantreceived from the National Playing Fields Association. During this period halfday Saturday cricket and two all day Bank Holiday games constituted the fixturelist. In 1939 the Club had no less than eight members forming the SelectionCommittee and no doubt weighty considerations and much burning of midnight oiltook place before finally selecting the eleven players from 22 playing membersfor the one half-day weekly match.
The Whitsun Bank Holiday game was against Croydon. Pawnbrokers who continued tocome until 1962, but it seems that "the affluent society" of thislater period requires fewer Pawnbrokers, and in 1963 they were unable to raisea side to keep this old established fixture.
The August all day game was against Cudham, who still appear on the fixturelist. During the first year (1940) of the Second World War an effort was madeto keep cricket going by arranging fixtures on an impromptu basis, first underthe captaincy of Mr. Jimmy Glanville and later, when this gentleman went intothe fighting forces, by Mr. Douglas Ashpool whom himself subsequently joinedThe Royal Air Force and became a Pilot. The games were mostly against Forcesand A.R.P. sides, and in the later stages of the season some of these gameswere played with air battles going on in the skies above, men
dropping from parachutes and to the accompaniment of ack ack guns at full blastfrom surrounding districts, warden's whistles, fire engine bells and generalpandemonium. On one occasion two soldiers were killed on the ground during thelunch interval by machine gun fire. The games continued in an uninterruptedmanner Sir Francis Drake would have been proud.
At the end of the 1940 season the Club completely closed down until hostilitiesceased. During the war years Mr. Arthur Harman, Secretary/Treasurer andGroundsman before and after the war, did invaluable work for the Club byattending to ground maintenance so far as he could in such difficultconditions.
In 1926 an active Outwood Ladies' Cricket Club was formed which 'in addition toplaying the annual traditional game against the men, played other villages thatcould put out a similar team. The Captain was Mrs. Evelyn Clutterbuck, wife ofCaptain Clutterbuck. The team largely depended upon wives, relatives anddaughters of the men's section, in fact no less than three of the team weresisters of Bill
Maynard who played for so many years with the Men's Club. The Ladies made a fewlocal laws of the game, for instance they played in skirts and if a bowlerpitched a ball on to the skirt, or it disappeared up the skirt, the batsman (orshould it be batswoman) was deemed to be out L.B.W..
After the Second World War an attempt was made to get the Ladies' Section againinto motion and Miss Opal Clutterbuck was the Captain for a short time, butwith the return to the village of the menfolk the Ladies found themselvesotherwise committed and the section folded up through lack of support.
The President of the Club for the whole of this period, Mr. Theodore H. Lloyd,whose father, the previous President had died in March 1919, carried on thetraditions of his father towards the Club and gave it encouragement and help inmany ways.
It was in 1938 that the Lloyd Hall was built as a gift from Mr. and Mrs. T. H.Lloyd to the village; and the Cricket Club together with other organizations inthe village have since greatly benefited from this model village hall, the Clubusing it for the purpose of its meetings, suppers and other social events.

RETURN TO TOP OF PAGE

1946-1965 

During the War years, the 72nd Division of the Canadian Army camped inthe woods around the ground, using the Pavilion as their Sergeants' Mess andthe playing area for playing their favourite game of baseball.
A small band of enthusiasts got together after the Second World War as thosebefore them had done after the First War and a General Meeting was called andheld in the Pavilion on the 26th April, 1946. At this meeting A. D. J. Ashpooltook the chair and the first item of business was to read, confirm, and signthe minutes of the A.G.M. held six years earlier in 1940.
Mr. A. Harman was thanked for the work he had done for the Club during the Waryears and was again elected Secretary and Groundsman. The Committee was formedto deal with such urgent matters as finance (the balance in hand being £8. 18s.21d) and repairs to the Pavilion, ground and fences, and consisted of Messrs.A. D. J. Ashpool, B. A. Clutterbuck, A. E. Young, F. Streeter, G. Constable, G.Miles, P. Pocock, L. Thompson and C. Springbett. These gentlemen had theformidable task of getting the Club re-organised and working again after thelong hiatus. One notable minute was carried at the meeting and this was to theeffect that in addition to Saturday afternoon and Bank Holiday games the Clubshould play cricket on Sundays.
During the early 1950's the Club, to a great extent inspired by Mr. JohnAvenell, decided to have designed a Club Badge and also to adopt a Club Motto.It causes no surprise that a picture of the 300-year-old Post Mill, under whoseshadows the ground almost falls, was chosen to be the centre piece of thebadge. The mill, built in 1665, had been owned and run by the Jupp family since1868 and Millers W. Jupp and his son S. Jupp each were for many years stalwartplayers and supporters of the Club. It is said that in 1666, Outwoodians hadviewed the Great Fire of London from the top of the Mill,
"AUDENTIS FORTUNA JUVAT'was chosen as the Club's Motto. My friends whoclaim some knowledge of the Latin language tell me that the literal translationof the wording is "Fortune favours the
The Captaincy after the Second World War was held over the years by only a fewmembers, A. D. J. Ashpool taking over this honour immediately after the war,giving up owing to ill-health after one season and resuming in 1949 until 1952when he again gave up for health reasons. He once more took control during theseasons 1953154 and then finally retired from active participation on the fieldof play, but he has continued to play an active part in Club affairs beingSecretary for eight years, an active Vice-President over the whole period andeventually our President. All through these difficult years of change andprogress it is through Douglas Ashpool, a great lover of cricket, that the Clubonce again found its keel and went forward into the new era. The"caretaker" Captains during the seasons when Douglas Ashpool wasunavailable were J. S. Greenhalgh and B. F. Rand. The former was at that timethe accepted premier wicket-keeper of the area and was the automatic choice forrepresentative "district" teams. He was also an attractive openingbat and amassed many runs for the Club Bill Rand an ideal "clubman",also held office as Secretary before leaving the district in 1957.
In 1952a ground improvement was made when the water service was extended fromoutside the Pavilion to a water point at the edge of the table. This extensionwas to greatly improve facilities for the maintenance work to the table. Thebulk of this work was done by Club members.
A stalwart member who worked hard for the Club for some twenty odd years andone who has been described as among the best Outwood Clubmenever was Mr. FredStreeter. Mr. Streeter's home was in Millers Lane and he was a nearneighbour of Walter Scott. This enthusiastic clubman took on many jobsincluding that of "Catering Officer". Fred was the mainstay of theOutwood batting strength and scored most of his runs with the aid andmanipulation of his wrists. Among his larger scores were several made inpartnership with his contemporary opening batsman Charlie Rice, who alsonotched up many runs for the Club.
1950 was quite an eventful year for the Club. At the A.G.M. held in January theChairman drew the attention of members to what he considered to be the seriousfinancial position of the Club. An unsuccessful attempt was made to raise thesubscription from 1216 to 21/-. It seems rather odd that the motion to raisethe subscription was unsuccessful as the same motion had been passedunanimously two months earlier at an extraordinary A.G.M. of the Club. However,at these meetings the principle of a match "levy" was agreed, the sumbeing 1/- per member per match. At the A.G.M. the groundsman (Mr. A. H. Harman)made the following staggering suggestion: "That his salary be reduced by£10". This generous offer was accepted and recorded in the accounts as a"subscription". During the winter of 1950 Mr. Harman resigned, havinggiven the Club many years loyal service as Secretary, Treasurer, Groundsman, Playerand Umpire. A silver tankard was presented to him as a token of appreciationfrom Club members.
Before the commencement of the season in 1950 it was felt in some quarters thatthe Club would find it a strain to honour its fixture list with its existingsmall playing membership. The position was discussed at a Committee Meeting andrecorded in the minutes as what is described very tactfully one might feel as"A somewhat lengthy discussion" and it was decided to bring the Clubplaying membership up to strength by admitting a number of "outside"members.
In 1953, the Coronation Year of H.M. Queen Elizabeth , the Clubparticipated in the village celebrations. On Coronation Day a procession washeld and the Club had an exhibit consisting of a Tractor and Trailer, drivenand manned by members of the Club dressed as "ye olde tyme"cricketers, and the procession terminated on the Common with all and sundryjoining in a game of "ye olde tyme" cricket. A story is told of howtwo live and productive ducks lent by the Captain, formed part of the Club'sCarnival exhibit and of how from time to time the owner has tried withoutsuccess to find out what happened to his ducks after the event. The presentwriter intends to say no more on this subject, which could still be deemed tobe sub-judice,
About 12 months later a distinct pavilion improvement was made by installinggas lighting and running water to the two dressing rooms.
During the nineteen fifties the visiting team for August Bank holiday games wascomposed of West Indian cricketers, at first by a team playing under the titleof "West Indian Students" and later the fixture was taken over by thestrong side playing as "The West Indian Wanderers". Some excellentgames were played and the results usually favoured the Visitors. Luncheons onthese occasions were mostly provided by and with the compliments of the ReigateRotarians.
In 1955 the ground, and indeed the larger part of Outwood, wasdonated by Mr.Theodore Lloyd to the National Trust, and it is understood that so far as theground is concerned it was laid down that the Club should have the right forall time to play on the present site.
The Surrey Association of Cricket Clubs started a six-a-side Charitycompetition among local clubs, the games being played during evenings on a knock-outbasis, The Club first entered the competition in 1956 and although at the timeof writing the Outwood Club has not won the competition, it has on the oddoccasion reached the semifinal. The competition is run for charity and eachyear a sizeable cheque is handed to the organisation run in aid of Spasticchildren.
In 1955 the following entry was to be found in the Club's fixture card.September 25th versus A. D. J. Ashpool's XI, 1.30 p.m., at Home, This fixtureand it successors for the following five years were to become the Club's mostoutstanding playing events to date and among the famous Test and County playerswho appeared in these matches were P. B. H. May, the England and Surrey Captainof the period and considered by many the premier batsman in the World at thattime, M. F Tremlett (England and Somerset), J. C. Laker (England and Surrey),G. A. R. Lock (England and Surrey), P. J. Loader (England and Surrey), A. V.Bedser (England and Surrey), D. W. Richardson (England and Worcester), G. M. Emmett(England and Gloucestershire), J. F. Crapp (England and Gloucestershire), G~ E.Tribe (Australia and Northants), K. V. Andrew (England and Northants), H. W.Stephenson (England and Somerset), M. J, Stewart (England and Surrey), R,Swetman (England and Surrey), C. McCool (Australia and Somerset), P. E.Richardson (England and Worcester), K. F. Barrington (England and Surrey), andother English and Australian County players.
The 1955 fixture was mostly recruited from Douglas Ashpool's list of playerswho had supported him over the years by playing for a touring side led byhimself, and they were reinforced by two well known professional players in theform of M. F. Tremlett ( England and Somerset ) and M.Tornkin ( Leicester ). The touring side batted first and scored 203for 7 declared, and much to the delight of the spectators the home side reached207 for 9 wickets with a few minutes left for play.
In 1956 Douglas intimated that a dozen or more County players couldcome to Outwood for what was then described as the "big match". Clubmembers were delighted and before the occasion the match was extensivelyadvertised and on the day it was estimated that possibly 2,000 people arrivedto see the game. Unfortunately, M, Tornkin who was to have skippered the AshpoolXI had tragically died some 3 days earlier. During the game black armlets wereworn by all the players, the Club flag was lowered to half mast and a minute'ssilence was observed. It has been intended that a collection for Club funds wasto be made on the ground, but the collection amounting to over £100 was handedover to Maurice Torrikin's widow and the money became the first contribution toa fund that was subsequently continued on a national basis. The game againended in an exciting finish, Ashpool's XI scoring 204, and the Outwood XI 205for 7. It must be freely admitted that five of the professionals played forOutwood, among them J. F. Crapp ( England and Gloucester )who delighted the crowd with 50 runs scored in characteristic fashion.
The 1957 "big match" was run on similar lines to the 1956 game andamong the County cricketers who played for Outwood on this day was G. A. R.Lock ( England and Surrey ). A year or two later Mr. Lockplayed for the Club in a club match against Whiteoaks, On both occasions theOutwood team lost! In the "big match" Ashpool's XI scored 205 for 7and the Outwoodians 200. A silver collection was taken on the ground for thejoint benefit of D. G. W. Fletcher (Surrey) and H. W. Stephenson( Somerset ). No attempt has been made to describe the "bigmatches" fully as it would put the rest of this history out of proportion,butIfeel one of the matches should be recorded in some detail and I have chosenthe 1958 game, as perhaps this was the year the many stars who appearedattracted what was the largest number of people ever seen at one time on theClub ground. The match was for the benefit of E. A. Bedser( Surrey ), one of the famous twins. Three Outwood players played forthe visitors and indicates the friendly nature of the games.
The side representing Outwood batted first and the two County openers M. J.Stewart (38) and D. W. Richardson (27) gave them a good start and were wellsupported by the beneficiary (36) and his brother (40), also by G. E. Tribe(42), the Northants all-rounder who had played for Australia in the VictoryTest matches in 1945.
The innings closed for 206 and when the Ashpool X] batted they immediatelyheaded for the target. M. J. Bushby ( Cambridge University ) setthe pace with a cracking 39. The highlight of the innings, and possibly of thewhole series of matches was the batting of P. B. H. May who thrilled the crowdwith some delightful shots. One drive was off George Tribe for a truly lostball, as when it was last seen it was a mere speck in the sky over the largeoak tree in the south-west corner of the ground and heading in the generaldirection of the Lloyd Hall. The game, as usual, ended in a close finish, thelocal side winning by 4 runs.
In 1959 the visitors included for the first time K. F. Barrington (En glandand Surrey ) and J. Livingston, the Australian who for several yearswas one of Northants leading players. The Outwoodians decided to take on thestars with all local players, so perhaps it is not surprising that whilstAshpool's Xl mustered 304 for 9 declared, the home side were dismissed for 100.Among the visitors was G. E. Tribe, the delightful character from "downunder" who was playing his last game in England prior toreturning to his native country. A collection was made on the ground and as aresult a handsome presentation was made to George as a token of respect to thisgood fellow, whose company had been so much enjoyed in these matches.
The 1960 match was to be the last of the series and again the Outwood teamdecided to "go it alone" and although they did better than in 1959the ultimate scores were Ashpool's X] 218, Outwood 143. The most successfulOutwood bowler on this occasion was the local boy Chris Shergold (4 for 29) whodid not often bowl in Club matches, but he will no doubt always remember thaton this day his victims included the English Test match players K. Andrew, G.A. R. Lock and J. C. Laker. The collection at this match went to Tony Lock, whohad been enjoying his benefit season.
So these enjoyable and memorable games came to an end. In addition to theactual matches which had attracted some attention inthe London evening papers and National press, the Club hadconsiderably benefited financially. Whilst the collections had gone to thevarious players, they had in turn supported a Club Dance run on the eveningbefore the games and the Club funds benefited considerably from thesefunctions. Each year the games had been preceded by a cocktail.party and lunchgiven by Douglas Ashpool and his charming wife to the players, officials andofficers of the Club.
The "big matches" and the week-ends during which they took place willlong be remembered by those who had the honour of participating in theactivities.
During the first match of the series in 1955, P. Reilly the local fast bowlerhad had the distinction of completing 200 wickets for the season, actually tobe precise it was 199, but in round figures for the record the former couldsurely be taken. Earlier in the same season during one match he had cleaned bowledfive batsmen with consecutive balls and the following ball missing the stumpsby only a fraction of an inch. Admittedly the opposition were weak, but thiswould have been a fine performance even if he was bowling at his normal fastspeed at three stumps without any batsman being present. Pat, after severalseasons with the Club, decided to play in a slightly higher grade of cricketand in July 1956 moved on to Horley C.C.
Club activities in 1959 started on a sad note. Mr. Theodore H. Lloyd, Presidentof the Club for 40 years, died on the 23rd March. He had shown a great interestin the Club during its 70 years existence and gave his constant support. Until1958 both Mr. and Mrs. Lloyd were frequent spectators on match days at theground. Mr. Lloyd had always been pleased and willing to take the chair at Clubmeetings and at the annual supper. As a mark of respect the Club did not electa President for the 1959 season.
Subsequently Mrs. Lloyd donated a clock together with a plaque suitably wordedas a memorial to her late husband. The clock was of similar design to that usedon several county cricket grounds and greatly added to the facilities of thepavilion, as well as a boon on match days to players, umpires and spectators.Other pavilion improvements took place in 1959 when Calor gas, which had beenput in a few years earlier to the kitchen, was extended to provide lighting.Washbasins connected with running water were also fixed in the dressing rooms.The playing subscription which had been increased from 1216 to 15/- at the 1959A.G.M. (giving some indication of the general increased cost of living of theperiod) was again increased in 1962 to £1. Os. Od. At the A.G.M. of 1960 Mrs.B. M. Lloyd, widow of the late President, kindly accepted the vacant positionof President and like her husband and her father-in-law did her best for theClub until her death on the 9th February, 1963. Mrs. Lloyd would often mentionthat she was a cricketer in her own right as when she was at school at Roedeanshe had skippered the girl's cricket side attached to the school. She left £100to the Club and this sum was spent on a pavilion improvement in the form of ashed, so enabling the pavilion to be kept clear of sight-screens, mowers,scoreboards, fertilizers, etc. A bronze plaque in memory of Mr. and Mrs. Lloydwas placed in the pavilion in 1964.
In 1960a distinct ground improvement took place when new sight screens appearedat each end of the playing area. These had been paid for by one of the Club'sVice- Presidents, M. D. Rawkins, M.D. Dr. Rawkins did not five in the area butwould arrive for most matches, having motored down from London and he soenjoyed the games that he gave the sight screens and other benefits to the Clubas a token of his thanks and appreciation.
Another gift for the Club players arrived in 1961 when Vice-Presidents A. D. J.Ashpool and Dr. Vivian H. Bowles presented a slip catching cradle in thefervent hope that fielding behind the wicket would reach perfection. It wasalso in 1961 that it was decided that the Club should have a club tie and afterconsidering several designs, one of a dark blue background with light bluestripes and windmills also in light blue was chosen.
At the 1963 A.G.M. the Club members elected A. D. J. Ashpool as the President ofthe Club. Douglas was the obvious choice, since in addition to beinga Vice-President and benefactor to the Club for many years, he had also beenthe Club Captain for six years, Secretary for seven years, and since 1946Fixture Secretary, and he was a Committee man during the years he did not holdother office.
Like his predecessors in this office his great love of cricket, especially asplayed at Outwood, has been and still is reflected in his generosity to theClub, his continued support at Committee meetings when he is always interestedwhether it is an important matter under discussion such as who he should inviteto be the principal guest at the annual Club supper or the recurring problem ofthe broken lock or condition of the shed housing the ladies' toiletrequirements!
Upon taking the chair at the 1963 A.G.M. one of the President's first dutieswas to accept a proposition put forward that the Club history be written up anda member was delegated to start this task. However, at the corresponding meetingheld in 1965 it transpired that not a lot of progress had been made, so thepresent author was asked to take over the problem and he undertook to producesomething within 12 months.
The current August Bank Holiday fixture is against Blackboys, a village whichlies south-east of Uckfield. This fixture, played on the Outwood ground, iscomparatively new but has proved very popular with the players.
It was at the August game 1964 that the President, at a simple ceremony,unveiled in the pavilion the bronze plaque in memory of Mr. and Mrs. T. H.Lloyd. At the end of the ceremony Douglas suggested that the Clubshould give its next attention to the pavilion toilet facilities. Asubscription list was opened on the spot and some £25 was immediately collectedfor the fund, which became known as the "Ablutions Fund". During 1965a working party led by Roger Allery, converted a room inside the pavilionpreviously used by the groundsman for storage purposes into a shower room.
This entailed considerable work, including taking up the existing wooden joistfloor, laying and screeding a new concrete floor, lining walls and installingthe plumbing and fittings. At the time of writing the work is nearingcompletion and will be ready for the 1966 season ' At a recent meeting it wasproposed that "Miss World" be asked to perform the opening ceremonyby taking the first shower, but this suggestion was unfortunately turned downand a more practical one adopted!
In 1964 the Club held a single wicket competition amongst members. After asummer containing a lot of glorious weather the Club took a chance of holdingit on the first Sunday in October. The gamble came off as the weather wasperfect and a thoroughly enjoyable day was held, the competition being won byDouglas P. Treacher. Incidentally, the day's activities raised about £10towards the Ablutions Fund. A similar competition in 1965 was won by RogerAllery.
As this chapter, relating to the period 1946-1955 draws to a finish one mustpay tribute to a character who has played such a leading and prominentpart,Irefer to David F. Clutterbuck who has to date held the position ofCaptain to the Club for twelve consecutive years, which is a Club record so faras records go back, although it must be said that Mr. Emery Wright, Captain forcertain during the years 1896-1904, could possibly have been the Club'sinaugural captain in 1889 and for the following six years.
David, being a personal friend, will forgive me whenIsay that he is not thegreatest cricketer in the world, but is in the opinion of many, includingmyself, the near ideal village club captain, whose duties of which are sonumerous as to warrant a chapter on their own.Iwill abbreviate by saying theyrange on the one hand from making a lengthy speech at Club suppers to supervisingthe emptying and burying of the contents of the chemical closets installed atthe pavilion, the actual operation being carried out by a member with twoessential qualifications: (1) a very high sense of clubmanship; (2) the ownerof a nose insensitive to smell.
When he took over in 1955 he followed popular Douglas Ashpool and it was aperiod when several players were retiring, and not many young men following.However, David with the advantage of local knowledge having lived in Outwood,got things going and after a shaky start soon had the Club thriving again.During his term of office he has supervised many ground and pavilionimprovements and has been a great success at meetings, when he has always beenat his best when difficult subjects were under discussion.
On the field of play he has been an inspiration to all with his unflappableapproach to the game and his very high standard of sportsmanship. Perhaps hiscrowning glory was in one of the "big matches" when his first hit wasa six over the pavilion roof off Tony Lock, the England and Surrey spin bowler.If there is some doubt as to whether or not he holds the record for the numberof years as Captain, there is one record he holds that will surely never besurpassed and that is the record for having spoken at Club suppers for a totalaggregate of four hours!

RETURN TO TOP OF PAGE

AU REVOIR

Explanatory Note
The author is here taking the opportunity to record in the last few pages a fewpersonal impressions of Club activity through the years, offer someexplanations and apologies and to cover a few matters that do not fall neatlyinto any fixed period.


A Challenge
The heading of this final chapter has no personal implication but it is writtenin the hope that before too many years have passed someone connected with theClub will produce a second edition of this modest document, revise or re-writeit as they may consider appropriate and bring it up to date. i issue a challengeto the sitting officers of the Club of the future 1989 period to make sure thatit is done so that a record of the flrst 100 years of the Club will be inexistence.


The Stories
Whilst an honest endeavour has been rnade to keep this history"factual" at the same time several of the stories told mightIfeel notstand up to an exhaustive enquiry! Take the Eton-Harrow match, for instance;that some such match did take place is reasonably certain, but it is doubtfulif it appears among the records of either of these famous establishments, itbeing more likely that certain young gentlemen from the schools got togetherrespective teams and played an unofficial match.
Regarding another of the stories, Waiter Scott's unauthorised trips to his homeduring match play, it is the author's opinion that Waiter did on occasiontemporarily absent himself for the very good reason of wishing to attend to thewants of nature in a civilised manner. Even today the "toilets" onthe ground are not exactly in the luxury class and in Waiter's day they wouldpossibly have been non-existent except in the natural surroundings of thewoods, where one would obtain as much privacy as possible among the bramblesand stinging nettles at the same time risking considerable discomfort if notpositive danger!


Records and Averages
The foregoing pages do not carry a great many cases of records made on thefield of play for the simple reason that complete statistics do not exist andfor the same reason "averages" are not quoted at all. The"author" must confess that he is also "anti-averages",which so often produce completely meaningless and freak results; and in anycase is of the opinion that cricket is essentially a team game and every mandoes his part. However, in the early fifties the Club went to Lingfield for anafternoon match and created what is no doubt a "record" by anystandards, Bob Dean, an all-round player who, when batting, scored runs allround the wicket with elegant stroke play, opened the innings and scored 104,the whole lot (less 4 singles) in boundary hits. His partner, Joe Greenhaigh,scored 55 not out and the final Outwood score was 250 forIdeclared, Bill Randmaking 85 not out.  


Club Suppers
In 1924 the Club Supper was revived for the first time after the Great War andit was held at "The Bell" and attended by 67 people. The pub wasconsiderably smaller in those days than it is at the present time and it musthave been a near miracle how 67 people were served with supper in one evening.Incidentally, a round of drinks for the assembled company cost only 261-.Another year the supper was served in the pavilion. The hazards of gettinghome, after such a function on a winter's evening were not without humour, thejourney entailing, as it did, leaving the pavilion in the dark and negotiatingmuddy tracks and ditches through the woods. The experiment significantly wasnot repeated!
I have previously made reference to the fact that Club minutes of meetings ofearly days give very limited general information about the Club and to give anexample neither of the above mentioned events are recorded in the Minutes. Infact the first Club supper that is recorded was the one held at the Lloyd Hallin the autumn of 1948, the first held after the Second World War. Catering, asindeed was the case for the following two years, was carried out by an outsidecaterer, but in 1951 the Ladies of the Club laid on the meal, which was on a"sausage and mash" basis, with trifle and cream and cheese andbiscuits also being served. Entertainment was by Mr. R. Searle at the piano,the versatile Alf Young rendered songs and a gentleman named" Oporto " provided "magic" and humour and hisact still causes smiles by those who attended this function. During the early1950's it was customary for professional entertainers to be engaged and whilstit must be said they did not all meet with complete success, this was not thecase when David Nixon arrived and gave his act. Mr. Nixon subsequently became awell known television personality.
Year after year the chief guest would be thecurrent County Captain and those who have come, some for severalyears consecutively, include E. R. T. Holmes, Stuart Surridge, P. B. H. May andM. J. Stewart. Also from Surrey we have had the Bedser twins, and J. C~ Laker,whilst among others to sit down have been Barry Knight (Essex), MauriceTremlett ( Somerset ) and George Emmett ( Gloucester ).Since the Second War the suppers have been more or less on the same pattern andalthough it is not at this moment history, again for future record I feel itwould not be out of place to write a short description of the 1965 supper.
It was held at the Lloyd Hall on the 27th November, the admission tickets,having of necessity been restricted in numbers and costing 12/6 each. The Hallwas beautifully decorated, the stage at the rear stacked with magnificentblooms of chrysanthemums laid on through the auspices of Vice-President W. T.Barton and his gardener. Tables were beautifully laid and decorated with 19replicas of the Outwood Post Mill, these having been made by an artisticallyskilled lady and were in cardboard 15 inches high and painted in light and darkblue, with real small flowers around the bases. Also on the table werecandelabra each containing candies of Club colours.
A packed hall of 90 people sat down to an excellent meal of Chicken Supremewith creamed potatoes and peas, ice cream gateaux, cheese and biscuits withcelery and coffee. The hot food had been cooked by various ladies around thevillage and collected in a type of hay box containers by Vice-President T. P.C. Judge, sometimes described as the "flying cheC, a chore Paul hadcarried out for several years on supper night.
The ladies served the meal with a precision that would have been the envy ofany restaurateur.
The chief speakers, whose speeches of about 20 minutes each were more of anentertainment than a formal speech, were, representing the Club, D. F.Clutterbuck (Captain), Vice-President Granville Roberts, O.B.E., and for thevisitors M. J. Stewart (County Captain) and Cliff Michelmore of the BritishBroadcasting Corporation, and these were augmented by Douglas Ashpool(President and Chairman), and Toastmaster Vice-President F. W. Forbes. Mr. W.T. Barton also gave a short vote of thanks to the ladies and made a generousdonation to Club funds, an act he had done so frequently in the past.
Among those attending the function was the veteran Club member Charlie Martin,who for many years prior to the Second World War had been the team's stock slowoff break bowler.
When bowling, Charlie had a few well remembered characteristics. Alwaysperforming at the bottom end and wearing a dark flat cloth cap he wouldinvariably before advancing on his two or three step run up carefully eye thebatsmen, transfer his gaze for a few seconds to his own feet and then bowl aball which would pitch 12 inches outside the off stump and swing in viciously.
As well may be expected, Charlie over the years had many victims. Owing to hisadvanced years Mr. Martin had been escorted to the function by the well knownand respected local character Tommy Roberts who himself had been a Club Captainand constant supporter of the Club for many years.
Tommy in his playing days was a left-handed opening bat and scored a lot ofruns for the Club with strokes that were a pleasure to watch. He could alwaysbe easily picked out in the field as he was a Specialist at "Point",his favourite position.
The bar was run by Vice-President J. Rabone, current Licensee of "TheBell".


The Ladies of the Club
This paragraph will be short as it would be invidious (and unwise) to nameindividually any present day lady or ladies of the Club to the exclusion ofothers, but neverthelessIjoin with all members in realizing the debt owed tothe ladies for the terrific amount of work which has been and is still beingdone for the Club by way of support at the Annual Supper, social events and atevery home match by the preparation of teas served in the pavilion. They areconsidered to be second to none so far as village club cricket is concerned.For future record mayIsay that teas consisting of beverage, sandwiches of allkinds, and cakes all ad-lib are enjoyed by players and spectators alike, thecurrent charge being 2/- per head.
In the Autumn of 1965, Mrs. Ashpool, helped by ladies of the Club, ran a dancefor M. J. Stewart, the Surrey County Captain, at the Lakers Hotel, Redhill,which resulted in a cheque for approximately £200 to add to his benefit fundbeing handed to this popular player who had been a good friend to the Club andwould have been the beneficiary had a "big match" been organised inthis year.
In spite of the opening sentence of this paragraph I would like to pay tributeto a lady of the past of whomIhave heard a lot, but did not have the pleasureof meeting. I refer to Mrs. M. Young, wife of Arthur Young, who was responsiblefor pavilion teas immediately before and after the Second World War. Mrs. Youngwas affectionately known among the members as Aunty Mag. After the war shewould arrive on the ground armed with home-made cakes made by herself from egg3and other ingredients saved from her rations, boil the water on a paraffinstove and provide a first class tea for the players.
The pavilion does not hold a memorial plaque to this kind lady but perhaps thebest memorial to her of all, so far as the Club is concerned is the fact thatthe spirit she engendered is carried on by the present and I am sure will becontinued by future ladies of the Club.


Presidents and Vice-Presidents
I have throughout this history made frequent references to "ThePresidents"and I will not do so again except to say how fortunate the Clubhas been to have had only four Presidents during its 76 years life, all of whomhave been most active members of the Club and not merely figureheads. The Clubhas also been fortunate with the support it derives from its Vice-Presidentsand subscribers. These mainly consist of ex-players of the Club and othersinterested in the Club's welfare. Collectively they annually donateapproximately £100 to Club funds and this is easily the biggest item in theClub's Income Account.


The Changing Scene
It does seem rather remarkable that in the nineties and early part of thepresent century, the village consisting of fewer houses than today was able tofield two elevens of local players on Saturday afternoons. The local peoplelooked upon the games as a minor festival of the village and spectators were inconsiderable numbers all around the ground.
At the present time one eleven is fielded on Saturdays and Sundays and at timesthe Club are hard pressed to produce the necessary number of players andofficials and are only able to do so by the fact that the majority of theplaying members are drawn from outside the village. In fact it is quite obviousthat the Club could not honour its fixture list without outside members.
As recorded earlier in this history, it was customary for the Vicars to giveconsiderable support to the Club by attending meetings and social functions,several played and one was skipper for a season, but since 1945 the Club hasnot, as yet, had a Vicar playing with the team, though in fairness it must besaid that only a small percentage of Club members have regularly attendedchurch services.
Gone are the days when several members of one family played at the same timebut occasionally current day members of the Club have the pleasure of seeingfather and son playing in the same team. Two such cases are Vice-CaptainsGeorge Constable and John Christie whose sons Tony and Adrian respectively areregular members of the side, the former being a brilliant fielder and thelatter a pace bowler who in his first full season with the Club was top of thebowling averages, having on several occasions completely wrecked theopposition's batting. Gone are the days too when the Captain could be agentleman who having arrived on horseback led his team out onto the fieldwearing a monocle and gloves. The modern Captain is more likely to turn up in aland rover or a saloon car and dressed in an orthodox manner.
Gone are the days when the No. 4 batsman arriving at the wicket wearing a clothcap, took guard with the toes of his left foot pointing towards the heavens,crouches low over his bat and then proceeds to act as the team's sheet anchor.Gone are the days when among the later batsmen would be the village blacksmithwho with his arms and muscles glistening with honest sweat in the sun wouldproceed to flay the bowling by hitting mighty sixes in all directions.
Their counterparts today are more likely to be young men who, having had thebenefit of expert coaching at school or the indoor cricket school, arrive atthe wicket with the object of making runs by delightful stroke play. Thesechanges, of course, are not confined to Outwood cricket, for all village clubshave undergone similar changes, some have lost their grounds to buildingoperations and instead of a cricket ground we see modern brick and red tileroofed semi-detachd residences with "H. & C. and all mod cons.".
Other village grounds which were set in rural surroundings are now publicrecreation grounds, a sort of oasis amongst concrete and glass structures saidto be schools or factories.
Although at Outwood the constitution of the team has undoubtedly changed frombeing a team of purely local talent consisting of the "gentry" andtheir workers, the Vicar, the blacksmiths, millers, publicans and similartypes, to a team mostly consisting of men who earn their living by commutingdaily to London, at the same time we who still enjoy cricket at Outwood, unlikeso many other village clubs, are able to do so more or less as Squire AlfredLloyd intended when he had the ground cleared and the Pavilion built before thepresent century. Gordon Home, in 1929,wrote in his book "The Charm ofSurrey" the following and in doing so must have had the cricket groundmuch in mind, and the picture still applies with the exception that one of theMills has been blown down. I quote, "Still further from the maddening crowdis Outwood Common where two Mills hold aloft their remaining sails over astretch of grassy upland-it is a spot difficult to find but eminently worth thetrouble of discovering".


Apologies
Nearing the end of this history the reader, assuming some will have maintainedinterest and reached this far, will have realised that the underlying theme hasbeen the fact that good clubmanship is an essential part of cricket at Outwoodand in this connection I offer my sincere apologies to all those good peoplepast and present and amounting in numbers to dozens and even perhaps hundredswho have done sterling work for the Club but who have not been mentioned inthese modest few pages of history of the Club.
Again with the underlying theme foremost in mind, I have been able to prepare aList of Honour of the Club and this gives a complete list of names of Captains,Vice-Captains and Secretaries dating back to 1906 and in part back to1889.Ihave not named the Fixture Secretaries and Treasurers as these twoimportant posts are only dated from after the Second World War.
Mr. Emery Wright was Treasurer when he was Captain, but generally up until 1940the Secretary's job was deemed to include the job of Fixture Secretary and moreoften than not that of Treasurer. Among those who have been Fixture Secretaryare J. S. Greenhalgh, A. D. J. Ashpool, yours truly, and the reigning officerW. A. Farish. Treasurers include W. Batt, C. Springbett, R. S. Chapman, and thecurrent Treasurer, D. G. Steel, who joined the Club as a member near the end ofhis playing career, together with J. E. Willcocks. The latter was a"tweaker" bowler and forceful bat, the former a sound opening bat andan occasional bowler who sent up leg breaks and who every now and again wouldbowl a ball that would have everyone baffled. Jack Willcocks upon playingretirement became a Club umpire and Dennis Steel still continued to manipulatethe Club's financial problems.


Final Words
i would like to complete this chapter with the fine advice to all players sofrequently quoted by David Clutterbuck: "For when the one great scorercomes to mark against your name, he writes not what you won or lost but how youplayed the game"

RETURN TO TOP OF PAGE.


LIST OF HONOUR

 

RETURN TO TOP OF PAGE

NOTES ON A FEW OF THE INTERESTING BUILDINGS IN THEOUTWOOD DISTRICT 

The village of Outwood is an ecclesiastical, ratherthan a geographical entity and its accepted boundaries run across the divisionscreated for local government purposes. Outwood Church was built in 1869 and waspart of the Parish of Burstow until it was given ecclesiastic independence.
Indeed Outwood contains segments of four old Parishes, namely Bletchingley,Burstow, Horne and Nutfield.
Old maps give the impression that 300 to 400 years ago (and even earlier), thebuildings within the area consisted of large manor houses such as Burstow Parkin the North and Burstow Lodge or Manor just outside the southern end, and anumber of smaller manor and farm houses. During the nineteenth century the areaattracted successful business men who bought residences in what was then verygood hunting country.
Farms were purchased, farm houses were enlarged and modernised and made intosuitable homes for the new occupants, the "gentlemen farmers".
Approaching the village from Smallfield, the first old building of anyarchitectural interest is the sixteenth century house named Cogman's Farm,which in the past has also been known as Tottings or Norman 's Farm.It is worth describing as it is fairly typical of several other old residentialfarmhouses in the area. It was built in three distinct phases, the northern endpossibly first, followed by the middle section. Most of the southern end is anextension built shortly before World War II to the plans, and under thesupervision, of a London architect.
Mainly constructed of solid oak posts, beams and roof timbers, it has a mosscovered slabbed Horsharn slate roof to the main elevation, and the rest of theroof is covered with pegged tiles. The front elevation is a mixture of timber,stucco and ornamental tile hangings, and one of the smaller windows at thefirst floor level has recently been uncovered for the first time since theiniquitous ''window tax", which even modern Chancellors have not dared tore-impose so far this century.
Opposite Cogman's stands Old Hall which was built in 1691 and is representativeof farmhouse architecture of that period, Since its earliest days it has beenin continuous occupation by a member of the Scott family.
Pagefield Cottage (now named The Cottage) nearby was built around the sametime, and like the previously named houses is protected under the various Actscovering buildings of special architectural and historic interest, andscheduled by the Surrey County Council.
With a small contingent of the Scott family living at the foot of the hill, andwith Walter Scott (and other Scotts) living in the village near the top of thehill, it is not surprising that the line of communication is calledScott's Hill, although it is shown on early ordnance survey maps as Scoot'sHill.
At the top of Scott's Hill is Old Cottage, previously known as Miller's Farm.This house, with its beautiful outlook towards the South Downs , wasamong the first to be built in the area. The adjoining Marl Pond hasalso been in existence for many years.
In the centre of Outwood the protected buildings include thesixteenth century Wasp Green Farm and the eighteenth century Red Cottage, laterrenamed Wasp Well. About five years ago another "protected" buildingnamed High Stile was, unfortunately, demolished. Most of the remaining olderhouses were built during Victoria 's reign.
In addition to the building of the Church (1869) the School followed in 1876and the Baptist Chapel in 1879.
Towards the Western border of the Parish stands Shepheardshurst, a countryhouse mostly built towards the latter end of the nineteenth century and withinthe area previously known as Shepherds Farm. Two cottages once existed near theprevious farmhouse and these were used by the Baptists as a chapel. They alsoused the nearby lake, still in existence, for the purpose of baptizing theirfollowers.
At the North entrance to Shepheardshurst there was once a small school,constructed of galvanised iron, the predecessor of the present primary school.
Slab Cottage, also near the North entrance, was converted into modern livingaccommodation out of a building previously knownas Slab Castle and part of The Orchards was the local butcher'sshop. Nearby Stonehouse Farm is among the oldest farmhouses in the Parish.
South-west of Shepheardshurst is the hamlet of Woolborough, and protectedproperties in this corner of Outwood parish include Little Woolborough Farm,one of the old farm buildings restored in the early eighteenth century, and WoolboroughFarm, parts of which are over 600 years old. This is one of the oldestbuildings in the parish and deserves a brief description.
The name itself is not without interest inasmuch as there are references to itin the Surrey Subsidy Roll of 1332 to . . . "De Thoma de Wolberg Villatade not felde" and it is mentioned in the 1911 edition of Victoria CountyHistory that in 1086 Notfelle (nuttefeld XIVth Century) was placed in thehundred of Churchfelde (later Reigate) that in 1364 Cecily de Beauchamp heldfive acres of meadow in Nutfield of John de Wolbergh. In 1463 William Sidney"died siezed of the Manor of Wolbergh".
The manor house was originally built of local stone quarried around Reigate,and though renovated over the years, still retains on the north and west sidesits large, rough hewn stone blocks, and one of the original chimney pieces. Ina particularly good state of preservation are the cellar walls, consistingentirely of stone blocks, under the east side of the house. It has also someremarkable ships' timbering with beams 12 and 13 inches square and portions ofwattle and daub remain intact in the loft area walling under a well raftered"L" shaped roof where a segment of a cannon ball was found tightlywedged.
It features in the Tithe Award Map of 1844 with the entry showing in the thenowner Sir Timothy Shelley; he died in that year with the property passing tohis eldest son, namely Percy Bysshe Shelley, the renowned poet and writer(drowned 1822).
Towards the southern end of the Parish and at the foot of Rookery Hill standsthe well preserved large farmhouse named Rookery Farm, of sixteenth centuryvintage. In addition to the roof the front elevation is mostly tiled and the'front door' is an oak door of stable type design.
At the northern end of the parish stands Harewoods House which is now a schoolfor backward children but until recently was the accepted "Manor"house of the district. Like many similar large houses Outwood the house wasbuilt some 300 years ago as a small far house of which very littleremains. It was developed into a country house about 100 years ago.
In the nearby vicinity is Burstow Park , the most ancientbuilding in Outwood, with a medieval defensive moat still clearly traceable.
Before the 13th century it belonged to the Archbishopof Canterbury 's Manor of Wimbledon .. In 1536 thenotorious Thomas Cromwell, despoiler of monasteries, became possessed of thebuilding but upon his execution the land passed to the Crown (Henry VIII). Itwas purchased privately in 1888.
The Public Houses within the parish are:
(a) The Bell Inn, which was built in or about 1635 and later named"The Bell of Bletchingley". Among distinguished visitorsduring the seventeenth century are said to have been King Charles II and NellGwynne.
(b) The Prince of Wales is the second oldest "pub" in the parish andis situated near the old coaching route from Merstham to the South. For manyyears a small confectionery and newspaper shop was situated alongside thebuilding. Built as a private residence, is was converted to a "pub"about the middle of the last century.
(c) The Castle is over a 100 years old and invariably referred to by localpeople as "The Donkey", a name said to be derived from the fact thaton one occasion a donkey was taken into the bar and sold by auction. Thiscomparatively small house was once divided into a grocer's shop together with abaker's shop and the large fireplace in the "Donkey Bar" was the spothousing the oven for bread baking.
To many the most interesting building in Outwood is the Post Mill which issituated 400 feet above sea level and the local landmark of the district. Itwas built in the year 1665 by a miller named Thomas Budgen. The Mill derivesits name from its "King Post" basis of construction. It has been wellmaintained and renovated and is the oldest working mill in the BritishIsles .
It was purchased by the Jupp family of Outwood in 1868 and remained in thatfamily's possession for nearly 100 years. In 1860 a second and larger mill,known as the Smock Mill, was constructed on an adjacent plot, but this mill hada chequered and unhappy career in its later life and it collapsed during a galea few years ago.


L.C.WALLER, April 1966

RETURN TO TOP OF PAGE



YEAR

CAPTAIN

VICE-CAPTAIN

SECRETARY

1889

 

 

 

to

Not Known

Not Known

W.H.Scott

1895

 

 

 

1896

Emery Wright

No appointment

W.H.Scott

1897

Emery Wright

No appointment

W.H.Scott

1898

Emery Wright

No appointment

W.H.Scott

1899

Emery Wright

No appointment

W.H.Scott

1900

Emery Wright

No appointment

W.H.Scott

1901

Emery Wright

No appointment

W.H.Scott

1902

Emery Wright

No appointment

W.H.Scott

1903

E.L.Scott

No appointment

W.H.Scott

1904

E.L.Scott

No appointment

W.H.Scott

1905

E.L.Scott

E.Bishop

W.H.Scott

1906

F.Locket

E.Wright

W.H.Scott

1907

F.Locket

E.Wright

W.H.Scott

1908

F.Locket

E.Wright

W.H.Scott

1909

F.Locket

E.Wright

W.H.Scott

1910

F.Locket

E.Wright

W.H.Scott

1911

F.Locket

J.A.Harris

W.H.Scott

1912

F.Locket

J.A.Harris

W.H.Scott

1913

F.Locket

J.A.Harris

W.H.Scott

1914

J.E.Edenborough

E.L.Scott

W.H.Scott

1919

E.L.Scott

A.Dean

W.H.Scott

1920

Rev.McConnell

A.Dean

T.Bell

1921

J.R.E.Cunliffe

C.Rice

T.Bell

1922

J.R.E.Cunliffe

C.Rice

T.Bell

1923

J.R.E.Cunliffe

P.Stacey

T.Bell

1924

W.Gatland

H.Reynolds

A.Constable

1925

W.S.Allom

W.Gatland

A.Constable

1926

W.S.Allom

F.A.Clutterbuck

A.Constable

1927

W.S.Allom

F.A.Clutterbuck

A.Constable

1928

F.A.Clutterbuck

G.Hollingsbee

A.Constable

1929

G.Hollingsbee

T.King

A.Constable

1930

G.Hollingsbee

T.Roberts

A.Constable

1931

G.Hollingsbee

J.C.Rice

S.Jupp

1932

G.Miles

J.C.Rice

G.Miles

1933

J.C.Rice

J.Young

A.Harman

1934

G.Hollingsbee

J.Young

A.Harman

1935

T.H.Roberts

J.Young

A.Harman

1936

T.H.Roberts

J.Young

A.Harman

1937

T.H.Roberts

J.Young

A.Harman

1938

G.Hollingsbee

J.P.Glanville

A.Harman

1939

J.C.Rice

J.P.Glanville

A.Harman

1940

J.P.Glanville

G.Constable

A.Harman

1946

A.D.J.Ashpool

B.A.Clutterbuck

A.Harman

1947

J.S.Greenhalgh

J.P.Glanville

A.Harman

1948

J.S.Greenhalgh

A.D.J.Ashpool

A.Harman

1949

A.D.J.Ashpool

B.F.Rand

J.S.Greenhalgh

1950

A.D.J.Ashpool

B.F.Rand

W.T.Upton

1951

A.D.J.Ashpool

B.F.Rand

W.T.Upton

1952

B.F.Rand

J.S.Greenhalgh

A.D.J.Ashpool

1953

A.D.J.Ashpool

B.F.Rand

B.F.Rand

 

 

D.F.Clutterbuck

 

 

 

G.Constable

 

 

 

J.S.Greenhalgh

 

1954

A.D.J.Ashpool

D.F.Clutterbuck

B.F.Rand

 

 

G.Constable

 

1955

D.F.Clutterbuck

P.Reilly

B.F.Rand

 

 

G.Constable

 

1956

D.F.Clutterbuck

L.Streeter

A.D.J.Ashpool

 

 

G.Constable

 

1957

D.F.Clutterbuck

L.Streeter

A.D.J.Ashpool

 

 

G.Constable

 

1958

D.F.Clutterbuck

K.J.Christie

A.D.J.Ashpool

 

 

G.Constable

 

1959

D.F.Clutterbuck

K.J.Christie

A.D.J.Ashpool

 

 

G.Constable

 

1960

D.F.Clutterbuck

K.J.Christie

A.D.J.Ashpool

 

 

G.Constable

 

1961

D.F.Clutterbuck

K.J.Christie

A.D.J.Ashpool

 

 

G.Constable

 

1962

D.F.Clutterbuck

K.J.Christie

A.D.J.Ashpool

 

 

G.Constable

 

1963

D.F.Clutterbuck

K.J.Christie

F.W.Forbes

 

 

G.Constable

 

1964

D.F.Clutterbuck

K.J.Christie

F.W.Forbes

 

 

G.Constable

 

1965

D.F.Clutterbuck

K.J.Christie

F.W.Forbes

 

 

G.Constable

 

1966

D.F.Clutterbuck

K.J.Christie

F.W.Forbes

 

 

G.Constable